top of page

Your Most Burning Questions About Companies House.

Updated: Mar 7, 2022

Company house beta, company house search, company house chagne address, company house name check
©Charlie Bibby/FT

Creating a new business can be difficult and confusing. Discovering what you are going to focus in, the method you are going to follow, or the image you want to give are topics that can lead in days and days of overthinking, but by far what can be more stressing about starting your own business is all the new paperwork you will have to do. But you do not need to worry! This post will give you a brief guide on Company House in UK, which can be key to your business.

Firstly, we need to answer to this question: Does my business need to register in the Companies House? If your type of company is within the following list, the answer to that question is yes:

· Public limited company

· Private unlimited company

· Private limited company by share

· Private limited company by guarantee

· Limited partnership

· Limited liability partnership

· International companies

· European public businesses

· European Economic Interest Groupings

However, this can lead to more questions such as how can I register? Can I do it myself? Which one is the company house website? You can access to the official website for Companies House in the UK by clicking here. There you can find some of the form needed to start your company, besides you will need to submit the articles of association and a memorandum of association. Apart from that bureaucracy you will need, of course, an available name. The company house website has a very useful searcher to name check your new company and know, within seconds, if it is available.

Another question that it is repeated a lot, is when should I notify Companies House of a change within my company? The answer is: almost always. You’ll need to contact them to, for example, change the address. As we mention the address, probably where more doubts arise when registering is which address to register and how our privacy is affected. First of all, the registered office address of the company must be in the same part of the UK where it was formed - England and Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

The registered office will be made public and will be kept on the public register for the duration of the company and for 20 years after it is dissolved. You can change your registered office address but previous addresses will be kept public as well.

In the case that, as many nowadays, you are operating from home, you can use the address of your accountant or your business adviser, of course previously you have to obtain their permission. There are also companies that offer virtual office services with which you could use the address that you contract with them.

If you choose this option, click on the following link where you can register with a discount.

The list of the things you must notify to them is long and each of them will need a specific form, which can be a very time-consuming task both to find the right one and to fill it the right way. That’s why we strongly advise you to hire the services of a trustful personal assistance like Evolveva Solutions that can advise you and guide you in the process, making it easier for you.

Finally, another key element from Companies House in the UK that you need to know is that companies need to file their accounts annually. For that you may need a professional accountant as it can be confusing and will not let you fully focus on your business.

To sum up, Companies House is very important when starting a business and it is key that you informed yourself of how they work. For that reason, it is wise to have someone by your side that can guide you and to whom you can delegate this tedious task.


bottom of page